About the Council on Virginia's Future
The Council on Virginia's Future was established in 2003 to develop a vision and long-term goals for Virginia's future. It was also tasked with developing a performance leadership and accountability system for state government that aligns with and supports achievement of the vision.
- Provide a long-term focus on high-priority issues
- Create an environment for improved policy and budget decision-making
- Increase government accountability and transparency
- Improve government performance
- Engage citizens in dialogue about Virginia's future
The Council is an advisory board to the Governor and the General Assembly that supports the development and implementation of a Roadmap for Virginia's future. Implementation is the responsibility of elected and appointed officials, regional and community leaders, and the people of Virginia. The Council plays a leadership role for positive change by providing a forum where legislative, executive branch, and citizen leaders can come together for work that transcends election cycles, partisanship, limited organizational boundaries, and short-term thinking. The Council regularly reviews progress on implementation of the Roadmap process and updates the Roadmap as needed.