Our History: Legislative Authorization
The Council on Virginia's Future was created in 2003 via HB 2097, which established the Council and defined its scope of work, membership, duties, and other details. Current authorization under SB 1257 continues the Council's mission through July 2017.
The following Code of Virginia citations provide the details of this legislation.
- § 2.2-2683. Council on Virginia's Future: Definitions.
- § 2.2-2684. Council on Virginia's Future; purpose.
- § 2.2-2685. Membership; terms; quorum; meetings; compensation and expenses.
- § 2.2-2686. Duties of the Council.
- § 2.2-2687. Advisory committees.
- § 2.2-2688. Staff; cooperation and assistance.
- § 2.2-2689. Chairman's executive summary of activity and work of the Council.
Also relevant to the Council's work is the Government Performance and Results Act, which mandates that state agencies must develop and maintain strategic plans for the future.