Perhaps nothing plays a more vital role in securing Virginia’s economic competitiveness than educational attainment. Hence this Futures Forum to explore the many factors affecting higher education in Virginia.
Economic Competitiveness: Aligning Higher Education with Long-term Workforce Needs was held August 28, 2009. Dr. Chris Chmura of Chmura Economics and Analytics presented a wealth of data outlining the relationships among education levels, income, business needs and gaps or "misalignments" with degrees produced. Craig Herndon followed with a demo of the Virginia Community College System's award-winning Virginia Education Wizard, a Web tool for students to explore potential career paths, their post-secondary education requirements, salary expectations, and a host of other related data. Forum attendees followed with a lively discussion of the many issues raised.
- Forum Summary -- 1.3 mb, PDF
- Forum Whitepaper: Enhancing the Alignment of Higher Education with Long-term Workforce Needs -- 1.3 mb, PDF
- Introduction (Jane Kusiak, Council Executive Director) -- 880 k, PDF
- Enhancing the Alignment of Higher Education with Long-term Workforce Needs (Chris Chmura, Chmura Economics and Analytics) -- 6.5 mb, PDF
- Explore the Virginia Education Wizard (website developed by the Virginia Community College System)